Sunday, December 19, 2010

Recycled Project

1. I made a wallet out of plastic bags.
2. I flattened out plastic grocery bags, placed them in a stack four high, giving eight layers of plastic, and ironed them between two pieces of paper. The plastic melted and the bags bonded to form one piece of "fabric." I cut and folded the plastic into the form of a wallet, and ironed again to bond the seams.
3. I used plastic bags, paper, and an iron.
4. I was interested in seeing how usable the plastic fabric was and whether or not it was easy to make.
5. One funny thing about the process was during the ironing. The paper I used did not entirely cover the plastic, so i let the handles hang out and did not iron them. The ironing caused the plastic to shrink, and so did the handles. They got pulled beneath the paper. It appeared as if the bag were growing in the wrong direction. Like a time lapse picture.
It was difficult to find a reliable method. One time I did not have the iron on hot enough, so the plastic failed to bond, and another, I turned the iron up too hot, to the plastic over shrank and developed holes.
6. I did what I set out to do and I learned along the way.

Contrast is important in my wallet. I used Safeway bags, so there are three colors: white, red, and black. A pattern developed, too. The plastic was not perfectly aligned, so when I ironed it, all of the Safeway logos showed up in different places. I did not think very intentionally about the aesthetics of my project. I was more interested in getting a scattered, random feel. I just wanted to see how it would look. I did what I set out to do. I probably won't iron plastic bags again, though, since it releases gross fumes. I just reuse them as bags.



10 comments:

  1. this is a great idea i have never heard of anyone making anything from safeway bags

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of finding alternate sources for material. We all have many plastic bags around, i'm sure, so this definitely is a useful way for us to recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think your project was one of the coolest ones! I think that it is really cool that you recycled for something you can actually use more that once or twice. the Safeway bags look really cool all stuck together too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the wallet was a great idea and i think it is really cool. the safeway bags contrasted well and caused the wallet to look unique and vey creative. good job! !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is crazy. Everyone has heard of duct tape wallets, way to do something out of the ordinary! It's totally random
    "Oh yeah, I made it out of plastic bags..." awesome!
    The contrast of the ideas of a professional wallet and yours is awesome~ so is the clear bag with red and black- it creates unity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like ur wallet :) u just need some green backs in it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked how you very creative and used plastice bags i thought it turned out awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very unique project and captured the true art of recycling. Its cool how you could use the fabric you made not just for a wallet, but for other useful things too. The layered effect of colors and designs is very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really like your wallet! its so unique! i like the unity in it and i love how you can use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you chose your project out of curiosity to see if it would work rather out of an expectation of a good completed project. The wallet that you did make was pretty awesome in the fact that it had all those pockets and folds to hold things. I have no idea how you even did that. The colors in the safeway were good colors for a wallet; they all went together and you didn't combine any other different bags that would interfere with the color scheme. Maybe one thing to try differently would be colored plastic bags, or thicker plastic bags to get a different effect. Awesome job Ryan.

    ReplyDelete