Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What did I learn from each drawing exercise?

     The first drawing was a self portrait. The only thing I have retained from any art class I've taken ever is this: a person's eyes are halfway up their head. So the first thing I did was to draw the head shape and the eyes right in the middle. I found that it really is quite hard to draw what you see. I would want to just draw an eye instead of my eye. I found that getting shading right is difficult. Because there's more to my face than just the shapes. There is depth and color. I don't think i got any of the shading right.

     I was pleased with how my hand turned out. I think I improved from the first to the second drawing. I took more care to observe the shapes and curves and angles. I tried to draw a hand that looked alive. I found that it helped to figure out where one part of the hand was relative to another, so that the hand looked proportional when I finished. For example, I noted that my thumb nail was directly across from the corner of my wrist and right below the tip of my index finger.

     I decided to draw a full person for my person from memory instead of just a face. I drew my grandfather. I found out that drawing clothes is difficult. It's hard to get the grooves right so that it looks actually like clothing. I learned that you really have to take your time and draw carefully, because I can tell which parts I hurried through and which parts I took time on. I found that when drawing from memory it is even easier to just draw an eye, than to draw the eye "symbol" you have in your head.

     I did not have time to finish the Upside-down Portrait of Stravinsky. I had fun with this. I enjoyed just copying random lines instead of trying to copy a representation of something. I learned that I need to judge sizing better, as my Stravinsky, if finished, would not fit on the paper. I also learned that if I concentrate to hard, the drawing just ends up looking worse so I need to learn to "flow" better.

No comments:

Post a Comment